Installing CyanogenMod on HTC Sensation

After using the stock Android ICS that came with my Sensation for a couple of years and getting fed up with it crashing and being slow all the time, I decided to try out the CyanogenMod (CM) everyone was talking about. When I started with this endeavour, I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of incoherent/incomplete resources all around. In this post, I’ll try to summarise the steps necessary to install it in a more human way to help others achieve the same goal.

HTC Sensation and the material design of CM 12
HTC Sensation and the material design of CM 12

Note: before starting any of this, backup (e.g. by syncing them to Google) all your personal data from the phone – contacts, pictures etc. The process will wipe it all!

The main, but partially outdated instructions to install CM on the Sensation (code-named Pyramid) can be found on this wiki site. The main difference now is that it’s no longer necessary to get S-OFF or use the Revolutionary app. It’s sufficient to unlock the phone on the HTC dev site by following their instructions (at the end these instructions will perform a factory reset). The recovery image can be set up by following the first part of these instructions to boot a recovery image. I downloaded the latest recovery (at the time the 5.0.2.0 normal version, not the touch version) from the official ClockworkMod site that supports CM 10. Later, I also figured out how to install the newer CM 12 based on Lollipop, so I’ll document these settings as well. Continue reading Installing CyanogenMod on HTC Sensation

A talking Raspberry Pi using Resin.io

Just trying out resin.io which is a nice new service that enables you to deploy apps to Raspberry Pi devices in a Heroku-like workflow:

git push resin master

In this post I’ll explain how I deployed a simple app that recites “N green bottles” written in Node.js to my Raspberry Pi via Resin.io – without having to ssh to the Pi even once. Continue reading A talking Raspberry Pi using Resin.io

Changing MySQL database encoding

For some time now, I had a pending task of converting the latin1-encoded MySQL database powering this site into utf8. I finally managed to do it after getting some advice from the kind people at a Vienna WordPress meetup.

The essence is that out of all the methods suggested in the official documentation, what worked best for me was dumping all the data to a text file, marking up and encoding it as utf-8 in a text editor and then importing it into a new database (instead of working on the production DB) that we point the wp-config.php file to after everything is verified.

Continue reading Changing MySQL database encoding